MOT-Forum
December 07, 2019, 03:23:59 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Search Calendar Media Articles Suppliers Products Links About Us Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Brakes question  (Read 3417 times)
SPalmberg

View Profile
« on: October 25, 2013, 12:16:37 AM »

Anyone have an idea why my brake calipers behave differently on the right and left side?
On one side (left - the car is left handed) it seems like the pistons are linked together, i.e. one piston moving in --> the other piston moving out and vice versa. When driving the car, this side tends to stick, i.e. the brakes will not release properly. The problem is less dominant in cooler weather. Both pistons move easily in their seats.
On the other side (right), the pistons seem to work "independently" of each other, i.e. one piston moving in --> no movement on the other piston. This side don't have the sticky brake problem, although the pistons don't move as easily.... Huh
When applying the break pedal, all four pistons seem to move approximately the same.
 I have the "S" model 7.5" discs.
What is the right behaviour?

//Stefan
BritBits

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2013, 09:39:57 AM »

Sounds like the left front brake hose has swelled up internally and it's not letting the fluid to back to the master cylinder when you take your foot off the brakes.   A simple test is to push on the brakes once, remove the wheel and crack open the bleed valve.  You get a gush of brake fluid... time for new flexible hoses.

Happened to my Cooper S brakes too.  Wink

Cheers,

Jim
SPalmberg

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2013, 07:52:42 PM »

That makes sense with all the symptoms! I'll let you know the result Smiley Thanks.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2013, 10:35:37 PM by SPalmberg » Logged
SPalmberg

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2015, 05:48:58 PM »

Haven't been very active here lately, or indeed very inactive, but the the advice was the right one! It solved the problem. Thanks Jim!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: