MOT-Forum
November 23, 2017, 07:39:17 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Search Calendar Media Articles Suppliers Products Links About Us Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  
Author Topic: New members - introduce yourselves  (Read 13102 times)
John W

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 21, 2013, 10:24:24 AM »

Welcome
BritBits

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 21, 2013, 11:12:38 AM »

'56 Mini?  Sure it's not a Minor?

Ohhhhh, it's one of those new BMW Minis. 

Welcome.

Jim
'63 Austin Cooper
LTDAIGLE

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 16, 2017, 07:15:44 AM »

Hello,

I'm Todd and new to the MOT.  I will be retiring from the Air Force May 1st and moving down to the San Antonio area around Feb.  Good to see fellow classic mini owners around.  I have a 1989 Austin Mini Mayfair that I brought back from England with me.  I also brought back a 1986 Land Rover Defender 90.  Can't wait to get to TX and continue working on these two cars.  I'm not a mechanic by no means but I can make my way around them and tinker and fix them up.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2017, 07:17:46 AM by LTDAIGLE » Logged
Wings

Such a little car; so much to learn!

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 16, 2017, 04:36:48 PM »

Congrats on your impending retirement and good luck with your 'toys'. I'm glad you found the group.

Paul

2013 JCW Chili Red/Chili Red
1991 Mini Cooper Red/White 'Matchbox'
1071das

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 18, 2017, 01:27:21 PM »

Hi, all.

I am Derek Salvage, returning to the fold after a lapse of many years. Now retired in Spring, Texas. Still have my 1964 1071 S which I am slowly getting road worthy again. Now registered and running, but very rough at low revs. Still, better than before !
Have lost rack of who is still around to work on these cars. Graham Davies did a great job on re-building the motor but that was nearly 10 years ago. Any pointers on who is still around would be welcome!
Velopackrat

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 20, 2017, 08:16:01 AM »

Derek,
Congrats on getting back to your 1071 S.  I have a '67 1275 S and there is a fellow in Austin that has a couple of them.  I had a car like yours but sold it.  Regretting that decision.  Post up pics of your old car!
Why do you figure it's running bad?
Regards,
Chris
John Lieberman
Administrator

AutoX Mini

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 09, 2017, 08:39:34 PM »

Hi, all!  Just letting everybody know that I'm still alive and well in Shreveport and so is the AutoX Mini, 30 years into the mission, although it is in need of a good "freshening" before next season. 

Toward that end, now is still a great time to buy parts directly from England.  Even though the exchange rate isn't quite as good as it was a couple of months ago when I ordered my front alloy brakes and wheels from Mini Sport, it's still much better than it used to be.  One US dollar today equals one GB pound.  As an example of how this can save you money, I just got a shipment today from Mini Spares.  I got Mahle (Vandervell VP2) main and rod bearings, thrust washers, a high-capacity water pump, and a full gasket set for $125.  DHL Express shipping from the UK was $23 and that was the lowest shipping rate offered.

On the tire mounting issue, I recently took a couple of fresh Hoosier slicks (20.5x7-13) to a local independent tire shop where I had recently bought new tires for my pick-em-up truck and asked if they could mount them on my 13x6 Diamond Racing rims.  "Sure!  We can do that."  Right!  Apparently, this guy had never mounted slicks before.  They've got a bead that's even more rigid than the Yokos.  The old ones came off the rims with no problem at all and the new ones went on just as easily.  But, he had a bee-itch of a time trying to get the bead to seat on the new ones.  He cussed the tires up one side and down the other.  Then he cussed me up and down, too.  But, eventually, he got them mounted and then told me to never bring him any more!!!  He only charged me $10 per wheel to mount the new slicks and dispose of the old ones.
John Lieberman
Administrator

AutoX Mini

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 09, 2017, 08:55:44 PM »

Hi, all.

I am Derek Salvage, returning to the fold after a lapse of many years. Now retired in Spring, Texas. Still have my 1964 1071 S which I am slowly getting road worthy again. Now registered and running, but very rough at low revs. Still, better than before !
Have lost rack of who is still around to work on these cars. Graham Davies did a great job on re-building the motor but that was nearly 10 years ago. Any pointers on who is still around would be welcome!

Graham retired several years ago for health reasons and sold off everything in his shop before moving to the northeast to be with his family.  I bought a ton of parts from him when he shut down, including the motor that's in my car right now and the trailer I use to haul it to events.

Since I'm in Louisiana, I'm not sure who in Houston, San Antonio, or Austin still works on Minis.  There's Kip Motors in DFW but I can't help you with anything closer to the Houston area. 
Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  

Jump to: