MOT-Forum
November 23, 2017, 07:49:45 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Search Calendar Media Articles Suppliers Products Links About Us Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: I'm Baaaack! John Lee  (Read 433 times)
jfl99

View Profile
« on: July 03, 2017, 03:31:40 PM »

This is John Lee. It's been a long time. Just posted in parts wanted. Still trying to put together a motor. Don't see many names from the past. I do hear from Arturo Lee ever so often on fb. At one point I stopped by and it seemed like group wasn't inviting new Minis. I'll check back soon and tell you a really sad story involving my Mini stuff.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2017, 12:01:08 PM by jfl99 » Logged
John Lieberman
Administrator

AutoX Mini

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2017, 04:00:55 PM »

Welcome back, stranger!
MPlayle
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2017, 09:01:37 AM »

Welcome back!

As far as I know, MOT has welcomed the new MINIs.  I am on my third new MINI and 10th classic Mini at the moment.

I don't post much on any of the forums - the exception being RestorationMini.

Most of the old "usual suspects" seem to have moved on to other things and other social media versus the MOT forum.

jfl99

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2017, 11:40:12 AM »

Hey, good to hear from you and that you're still kicking. Charlene brought you up a while back, wondering what you were up to and if still into Minis. Charlene still has hers, with 165K on it, running great and has had typical repairs like clutch, suspension and AC. Body inside and out has ticky tacky shit broken and windshield is cracked but she's afraid to replace it and have it broken again. She would like a Clubman but wouldn't get rid of this one.

My brother got rid of his 200+hp Mini after putting a lot of autocross and track day time on it by him and my nephew. He offered it to me but I passed although he'd had turbo redone and suspension work. My sister in Dallas is on her 3rd or 4th MINI. The one before this one was a coupe. About 3 years ago I was poised to sign papers on a new coupe myself but backed out, having just bought a 300+hp 2003 VW GTI which I'd set up for track days. Just didn't want 5/6 years of payments when nearing retirement. Retired two years ago.
My niece got rid of her MINI a while after college.

BritBits

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2017, 10:32:56 PM »

Hi John, welcome back!

Most of the usual suspects have moved on from MOT, I guess our dues are too high?   (kidding)

I'm probably the grump scaring away new MINIs.   After fighting to teach people that not all Minis are Coopers, what does BMW do?   Only sell Coopers in the US.   B*st*rds.   My brother is active in the BMW world and in the summer after the new MINI was offered the traditional BMW crowd were tired of hearing about them, based on comments in the Rondel.   

Nice cars, my friends in NJ got one of the first of the 2002 batch.   As I'd just lost all my retirement money and stock in Worldcom I wasn't rushing out to buy a new car.   Still haven't 15 years later.

I see CVAR is running at TWS in October this year.   Planning on being there, one form or another?

Cheers,

Jim, Diana and Jimmy
'63 Austin Cooper, '61 Vintage race Mini "1275S" wannabe

jfl99

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2017, 10:56:13 PM »

Not sure if I'll be at TWS. My brother in Corpus, whose son is driving my former car, moved 20 minutes from Hallett and I'm not sure he's going even though my nephew lives in Houston. If they go, I may go.

Charlene still has her Mini Cooper while my brother sold his hopped up track day car and my sister's girl got rid of the one she got for h.s. grad but her mother is on her 3rd or 4th leased one. Charlene would like a new Clubman but would keep hers. I almost bought a coupe 3 years ago.

Not many Minis being run with CVAR right now, often none show up now at TWS and sometimes one or two at Hallett. Trevor Bond sold the one he recently built and raced a couple of times. I think for about $14k. He still has a body left. Tom Davies hasn't been racing but still has his car. Bryant Barnes sold his a long time ago.
MPlayle
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2017, 08:46:51 AM »

Hey John,

I you and Charlene want to do a serious "inspection" of one of the current Clubman models, let me know.  I have one and will let you guys go over it more thoroughly than the dealer.  (Also, I may be swapping it out for a better tow vehicle in the very near future.)

Michael Playle

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: