MOT-Forum
October 21, 2018, 10:48:13 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Search Calendar Media Articles Suppliers Products Links About Us Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Recent experience importing into Galveston?  (Read 204 times)
Whee

View Profile
« on: August 18, 2018, 08:56:48 PM »

Hi,
Just to introduce myself I'm a member of Minis of the Rockies, based in Colorado. I have a Mini Moke arriving in Galveston on 3rd September, which will bring my current Mini collection to 5 (4 classic, 1 new).

I read this article - very helpful http://miniownersoftexas.com/forum/index.php?page=page4830 but was wondering if there are any more recent experiences picking up in Galveston. I have hired a customs broker.

I haven't decided how to get the Moke back to Colorado yet. My options are:

1) Fly down, pick it up myself and drive it back (it's not done a long journey in years, so this worries me a little)
2) Fly down, pick it up myself and tow back with a rental car/tow-dolly
3) Fly down, pick it up myself and leave it in storage somewhere and have it shipped
4) Have a shipper pick it up direct from the port (How does this work with TWIC card though?)
5) Have someone pick it up from port, and store it and get it shipped
6) Drive down and tow it back

I can get free flights to Houston for my son and myself which helps the cost of some of the options.

Right now I'm thinking 1, 3 or 4, but would love to hear your thoughts/recent experiences at Galveston, or ideas where I could store the Moke while waiting for a transporter to pick it up

Thanks!

-Peter
MPlayle
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2018, 08:41:24 AM »

The most recent I am aware of was Bruce Kennedy brought one in a few years ago.  You could try sending him a PM through this forum or the RestorationMini forum.

Whee

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2018, 10:08:45 AM »

The most recent I am aware of was Bruce Kennedy brought one in a few years ago.  You could try sending him a PM through this forum or the RestorationMini forum.

Thanks!
Wings

Such a little car; so much to learn!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2018, 02:36:56 PM »

Mokes are interesting but I'm not sure a Moke would be my choice for a drive that far. I think I'd have it shipped to CO. A rental vehicle and trailer would not be inexpensive anyway so leave it to the professionals. I'm sure if you call a few companies that specialize in transporting collector cars, they can give you some good advice. Good luck and enjoy your new toy.

Paul

2013 JCW Chili Red/Chili Red
1991 Mini Cooper Red/White 'Matchbox'
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: