MOT-Forum
November 14, 2018, 11:54:25 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Search Calendar Media Articles Suppliers Products Links About Us Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bought another Mini  (Read 130 times)
John Lieberman
Administrator

AutoX Mini

View Profile
« on: October 25, 2018, 03:55:14 PM »

Well, I did it.  I bought another Mini!  Got it on eBay from a guy in England who also has a US business in Colorado.  It's a white-over-red '81 with a 1275, sunroof, custom dash, and leather interior.  It's got a current MOT and all of the paperwork is in order.  He'd set a "Buy it Now" price of $6K but he also had a "Best Offer" option so I waited until the very last seconds of the auction and offered him $5K.  Much to my surprise, he accepted my offer!  Add in $1500 to ship it from Hull, UK, to Galveston and I got it for $6500.  He would have converted it to LHD for another $600 but I decided to leave it RHD -- at least for now.  It'll be a couple of weeks before it gets here so, for now, I'll just have to sit and wait.
BritBits

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2018, 04:18:34 PM »

Congrats John!    Let me know if you need a hand shuffling it from TX to LA.

And... could the seller toss a spare 1275 or 3 in the trunk?   Wink   Ok, wishful thinking.

Cheers,

Jim, Diana and Jimmy
Too many copperheads, not enough working car batteries
MPlayle
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2018, 11:33:45 AM »

Use a customs broker and be sure ALL required paperwork is processed correctly.  There are some forms now that must be submitted to US Customs BEFORE the car is loaded in the UK.

John Lieberman
Administrator

AutoX Mini

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2018, 09:51:52 PM »

Thanks for the feedback, Michael and Jim.  The guy I'm buying it from has a 100% positive rating on eBay, and he's been on there for several years, so he's obviously sent other Minis from the UK to the US and knows what he's doing.  He's already set up everything with the customs broker he usually uses here so it SHOULD be clean sailing when I drive down to Galveston to pick it up in a couple of weeks and then drag it back to Shreveport to get it registered here. 
I've also contacted USAA to see what it would take to add it to my existing insurance policy and they've referred me to American Collectors Insurance which covers cars like this for them.  It will only cost me $326.79/year -- $27.23/month -- to insure it for $12K with up to 7500 miles/year of driving.  Now I just have to find a fully-enclosed, lockable, storage place where I can keep it when I'm not driving it because I don't have a garage and that's one of their insurance requirements. 
As for the extra 1275s, Jim, I don't want to rock the boat.  I think I've already snared a pretty good deal on this car and I sure don't want to complicate the issue!!!  I do, however, have a deal working with a guy in south Louisiana who's parting out a 1275 Mini that he got from Central America.  He's going to sell me the engine and rod-change gearbox for $2500!
Wings

Such a little car; so much to learn!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2018, 02:32:08 PM »

Obviously we will need photographic 'evidence' once you get it home, John.  Smiley
As for insurance you might check with Hagerty too. I forget what I pay but they've always treated me well and their roadside assistance saved my butt one time.
Good luck with your new toy.

Paul

2013 JCW Chili Red/Chili Red
1991 Mini Cooper Red/White 'Matchbox'
John Lieberman
Administrator

AutoX Mini

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2018, 04:48:21 PM »

Here's a link to the eBay ad with a whole bunch of photos: https://www.ebay.com/itm/1981-Mini-Classic-Mini-/401619153142?nordt=true&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.m43663.l10137

JL
BritBits

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2018, 11:00:46 PM »

John, it looks really nice!    Just curious, did you leave it RHD or have the seller change it to LHD?

If you were a little closer I'd rent out my garage to store it.   Just don't tell my Cooper I said that.

My brother found a Clubman with 1275 near him for a donor engine.. but the seller thinks it's worth $5k+ as a rust bucket.   

Cheers,

Jim, Diana and Jimmy
Will work for Mini parts!
John Lieberman
Administrator

AutoX Mini

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2018, 11:28:31 PM »

Thanks, Jim

The seller would have converted it to LHD for an additional $600 but I decided to leave it RHD since the last LHD car sold in the US was in 67 and the last one sold in Canada was in 69.  Since this one is an 81, and it's coming from England, I decided to leave it RHD for authenticity.  I can always convert it to LHD later on if I should decide to do so.  Besides, converting it to LHD might not have agreed with the custom dash.

I've been shopping for a place in proximity to my house where I can store it when I'm not driving it and I think I finally found the perfect place today.  It will fit with room to spare in a 10X15 storage space but the place I found today is out of them for $66/month.  However, they've got a bunch of 10X20s for $77/month.  That's way too big for the little car but it's plenty big enough to hold my pick-em-up truck when I take the Mini out for a drive.  So I think that's the way I'm going to go with it.

For a little more than $100/month, I can insure it for $12K and drive it up to 7500 miles/year as well as keep it securely stored when I'm not driving it.

BritBits

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2018, 12:03:45 AM »

John,

Cool, I've ridden in a RHD Moke over the mountains in Colorado, but never driven a RHD on the road.   

Right after I bought my Cooper in 1992 I learned of 4 parts cars, 2 pickups and 2 vans east of Dallas off of 80.   I had a deal going for 2 of them when the owner insisted I take all 4.   I was in a rental house in Plano with no tow vehicle or trailer at the time.   It would have been 3 998s and 1 850 RHD mechanical setups in 4 rusty/crusty cars.

Oh well.

Hence the country property with barn.  Wink

Cheers,

Jim, Diana and Jimmy
Too many projects and not enough space... really???   
John Lieberman
Administrator

AutoX Mini

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2018, 12:23:28 AM »

Those sound like the same cars I looked at after I bought my 65 in 86 to turn it into a race car.  I really wanted one of those pickups so I could drop a 1275 into it and use it to tow the race car but the guy wouldn't even think about selling one pickup by itself.  He wanted to sell the whole lot.  Because of his reluctance to sell them one-at-a-time, he let the dreaded tin worm get to all of them and then nobody wanted any of them after that.  Don't know what ever became of them

BritBits

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2018, 12:47:13 AM »

I first saw them in the summer of '92, split between 2 of the "antique" shops in 80.  I went back in the spring of '93 and looked over the one pair, including getting VINs and engine #s to try to figure just what they were.  They were rough but I figured the engine/trans might be useful for my Cooper.

After making the intial deal of $425 for a pair the guy I was talking to had the other pair brought to his store and would only sell them as a package.   I wasn't able to at the time, but I went back the next year to make the deal.   The cars were there but the owner wasn't, and I didn't think to leave a message saying I'd take them.   When I came back a week later they were gone, supposedly to a scrap yard in 175.   I went to about 20 asking if they had the cars.   No luck. 

J, D & J
John Lieberman
Administrator

AutoX Mini

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2018, 12:56:50 AM »

Yep!  Sounds like the same guy I talked to about those same cars back in the late 80s.  It was either take all or take none and I had no place to store all of them here in Shreveport so I told him he was really losing out on money by not agreeing to sell them one car at a time.  He just brushed me off like he knew what he was doing.  WRONG!!!  You know the results of that decision as well as I do!!!

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: