MOT-Forum
April 20, 2019, 01:34:25 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Search Calendar Media Articles Suppliers Products Links About Us Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: starter motor  (Read 45 times)
justdave

View Profile
« on: March 30, 2019, 06:27:06 PM »

are the inertia drive & the pre-engaged starters interchangeable..i just purchased a 71 mk3 that has a per-engaged started installed
John Lieberman
Administrator

AutoX Mini

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2019, 10:38:41 PM »

If you're having problems with your pre-engaged starter I would suggest that you take it to a local starter shop and get it rebuilt.  That would be cheaper, I think, than buying a new one or trying to cobble in an inertia starter.
The pre-engaged starter is a much better deal than the inertia starter.  I've got one on my autocross car that was custom built for me by a local starter/magneto shop using a Nippon Denso starter from a Chrysler minivan. 
They can be interchanged -- IF they have the same tooth count on the Bendix gear.  The pre-Verto and Verto flywheels used a different tooth count.  You can tell which clutch you have by the location of the slave cylinder.  On pre-Verto cars, it's mounted horizontally to the top of aluminum flywheel housing.  On Verto cars, it's mounted at a 45-degree angle on
a bracket attached to the domed flywheel housing cover.
If I'm not mistaken, all Verto cars had a pre-engaged starter but you can also get them for pre-Verto cars.
JL

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: