MOT-Forum
May 22, 2019, 08:07:11 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Search Calendar Media Articles Suppliers Products Links About Us Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Shocks  (Read 159 times)
John Lieberman
Administrator

AutoX Mini

View Profile
« on: April 27, 2019, 05:33:35 PM »

If you're looking to replace or upgrade the shocks on your Classic Mini, without going overboard, I found a deal today.  The '81 that I imported from England is in dire need of shocks so I've been shopping online.  Mini Sport has a special on right now.  Four Bilstein B4 gas-charged shocks for a little over $88.  Add in shipping from the UK to the US and it comes to a little over $117.  Search BIL19KIT on their website.
John

BritBits

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2019, 09:46:00 PM »

Wow, that's a great price.   I looked at one of the big suppliers, one front shock is $151.   Ouch!

For grins I looked at Rock Auto.   They actually do have some bits and pieces for the classic Mini, sometimes they have closeouts that are deals.   The Bilstein B8 (shortened suspension) is $73 ea for the fronts.

I'm just curious if anyone has found any 10" tires other than the Yoko A008 or A032 available here in the US?

Cheers,

Jim, Diana and Jimmy
Almost Oklahoma!
John Lieberman
Administrator

AutoX Mini

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2019, 10:29:45 PM »

Shocks arrived today, Jim, and they really look and feel great.  Hope they perform as well as they look.  I just dread the thought of having to drain and remove the gas tank to get to the left rear!! 

I don't know of any place here in the US that sells 10-inch automotive tires -- or even 12-inch, for that matter -- except for the Mini parts houses.  And they want an arm and a leg for them.  I typed my 12-inch tire size for Lil Red into Google and came up with several suppliers in the UK and elsewhere around the world but nothing here in the US.  I found one place in the UK where I can get them for about half of what they're selling for here in the US.  Even with shipping, I would still come out ahead.

JL

BritBits

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2019, 10:54:14 PM »

Thanks John,

I've seen A008s for about $109 (yeah, slightly crazy) from one of the major discounters.   I need to put something newer on the '63 Cooper, it's still sitting on the A008s I bought in 1993.   The fronts are down below the wear bars... Wink

I probably should stick with the A008s, I had Pirelli P3s on an Opel in college in the mid 80s and they were way cool... and on the Mini it felt like I was on 4 marshmallows.  That was when Pep Boys still sold P3s in 10" size.   

Cheers,

Jim
John Lieberman
Administrator

AutoX Mini

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2019, 11:34:26 PM »

Hoosier makes a great 10-inch slick, Jim, that a lot of guys I know are running on their FM cars.  But I don't know if they make anything in a 10-inch R-comp tire that would be anywhere near equivalent to the A008.  However, it might be worth a search on their website.  Finding decent rubber in that size is getting to be just about impossible here in the US.
MPlayle
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2019, 11:53:04 PM »

Dan (94touring) on the RestorationMini forum found some by American Racer in 10" for about $72 per tire.  He said you have to call and order them.  They are not listed on the website, but are in the downloadable catalog.

John Lieberman
Administrator

AutoX Mini

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2019, 12:24:06 AM »

I know a couple of guys who run American Racer slicks on their Prepared autox cars and they swear by them.  I don't know what they make in anything other than a slick but it would certainly be worth pursuing.
BritBits

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2019, 10:31:23 PM »

John and Michael, thanks for the info.   I'm looking for street tires for a stock looking Mini on 10" rims.    I know I can find some 10" tires on ebay, just not happy with the source, if there's something wrong or the tires are ancient I'd be stuck.   When I bought the P3s from Pep Boys they had to replace one they destroyed during installation, and there was another tire that they probably had damaged but I put up with it.   It's on one of the projects so I can roll it around and it's 25+ years old so I won't use it on the street.

One of the Mini parts suppliers had Yoko A509s which were close to the AVSi tires, but allowed a bit more slip.   Back in the late 90s I managed to sneak into a Discount tires "ride and drive" on all the Yokohama tires at the time.   The A008s were trashed before I got a chance, but I found the AVSi tires that I normally ran on my daily driver were a bit more sticky than the A509s, so I could hustle the Mustang convertible around a bit better with the A509s on their short slalom course.

Then again the ones I've seen have been 50% more than A008s... guess I know what I'm going to buy for the next street car.

In 1995 I put Yoko A008G tires on the 13" Revolutions on the race Mini.   They are a street compound, 4 autocross weekends, 1 Solo divisional and 2 vintage weekends plus day to day driving on the street barely put wear on them.  Really fun through the infield at Texas World Speedway.  If I win the lottery I'll commission a custom run from Yokohama.

Cheers,

Jim, Diana and Jimmy
Too Many Minis, not enough tires!
« Last Edit: May 09, 2019, 10:33:35 PM by BritBits » Logged
John Lieberman
Administrator

AutoX Mini

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2019, 11:53:02 PM »

I put A509s on my Shelby Charger way back when.  At first, they felt really "greasy" on the street.  But after about 100 miles on the street and a couple of autocrosses, they really started to come in nicely.  The were still on the car when I traded it for my Daytona Shelby Z.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: